Riel House

Riel House National Historic Site, 330 River Road in Winnipeg, is where Louis Riel is commemorated as a person of national historic significance; and as the place of commemoration for Métis river lots, a form of prairie settlement. To visit Riel House, contact Parks Canada.

Did you know?

  • Riel House was owned by the Riel family right until 1968, at which time it was purchased by Parks Canada. The house has been restored and furnished as it would have looked in the spring of 1886, 6 months after Louis Riel's death.
  • Louis Riel himself never lived in the house. He visited his family's home briefly in 1883, but it is there that his body lay in state for two days in December of 1885. He was executed for his participation in the Northwest Resistance of 1885.
  • Riel House was the first post office in St. Vital. In 1898, Joseph Riel received a grant and established the first auxilliary post office in the house itself.
  • Louis Riel's metis origins come from his father, Louis Riel Sr. Louis Riel Sr's mother, Marguerite Boucher, was a Metisse-Dené from Ile-a-la-Crosse, Saskatchewan.
  • From 1980 to 2012, the Société historique de Saint-Boniface managed the interpretive services of the Riel House National Historic Site of Canada under contract with Parks Canada. That service was ended with the termination of the programme. 
Riel House National Historic Site of Canada is operated by Parks Canada.


Centre du patrimoine, 340, boulevard Provencher, Saint-Boniface, (Manitoba) R2H 0G7 - T(204) 233-4888 ©2010 - Société historique de Saint-Boniface
Here is the photo of the Centre du patrimoine on Google Maps