Order a Genealogy in Person
How to apply for a Genealogy Book or Proof of Métis Ancestry Search in person
1. Visit us at the Centre du patrimoine at 340 Provencher Blvd., Saint-Boniface, Manitoba. See the Contact page for more contact information and the Hours and Staff page to see our hours of operation. You do not need an appointment to apply for a genealogy.
2. Once at the Center, you will need to complete an application form and a family tree. We will also make photocopies of the required documents that you have on hand. The required documents and information are listed below.
3. To save you time, you can fill out the following application form and family tree in advance:
4. For payment, we accept debit cards, credit cards, cash and cheques.
5. Please note that your file will not be created without payment and the search will not be started if we have not received the required information and copies of documents.
Required Information and Copies of Documents
In addition to completing the request form, it is necessary to provide the information and copies of documents listed below:
- a copy of an official document indicating the connection between you and your parents (e.g., your baptismal or birth certificate showing the parents’ names)*;
- a copy of your valid government-issued photo ID (e.g. driver’s license, passport, etc.)**;
- in a family tree, list the full names (including maiden names) and dates & places of birth and death (if applicable), of yourself, your parents and your grandparents;
- if possible, the same information for your great-grandparents (or copies of their obituaries); and
- if you are ordering a Proof of Métis Ancestry package, please specify on which side, maternal or paternal, you believe Métis ancestry might exist.
In addition to this information, and depending on the case, you may be contacted to provide us with other documents to confirm certain intergenerational links.
*You can order a birth certificate with parents’ names (also known as a long form birth certificate) through the Vital Statistics Office of the province where you were born. If you were born in Manitoba you can do so by filling out the appropriate form here: https://vitalstats.gov.mb.ca/certificate_apps.html
Alternatively, you may order a baptismal certificate through the parish where you were baptized.
**If you do not have a photo ID or if the applicant is a minor, under the age of 18, the Guarantor’s Declaration for Proof of Identity form available below must be completed and accompanied by a passport photo or a passport type photo signed by the guarantor.
If you or any of your ancestors along the Métis line (for Proof of Métis Ancestry orders) were legally adopted, see the information in the PDF below.
Family Group Page
If you have children and you would like to include them in a family group page in your genealogy, you must provide us with a copy of their birth or baptismal certificate identifying you as their parent.