See also the Special instructions during the COVID-19 pandemic.
The preservation of books and archival records depends on you
The books and archival records at the Centre du patrimoine have been entrusted to the SHSB for the benefit of present and future generations. You can help us preserve Métis and Franco-Manitoban heritage by following these instructions for the protection of books and archival materials:
- If you are not a member of the Société historique de Saint-Boniface, you will be asked to pay an archives access fee of $5.00 per day. Access to the reference library in the reading room is free.
- If possible, we would appreciate advance notification of your visit.
- Researchers may not bring bags, briefcases, backpacks, coats, umbrellas, etc. intothe research room. These items must be left in the cloakroom or in a stall at the reception desk. Purses or handbags containing personal effects are exempted from this rule.
- Only pencils, paper and portable computers may be used for note taking. The use of pens or ink of any kind is strictly forbidden.
- No smoking, eating or drinking is allowed in the research room.
- Please exercise all possible care to prevent damage to the books and archival materials. Avoid taking notes on top of them or handling them in ways that will tear, fold, or otherwise damage them.
- Books and archival materials may not be removed from the research room.
- Use only one file at a time to avoid misplacing or re-arranging the order of archival materials. Loose sheets of paper must not be removed from the folders in which they were originally stored. Items should not be re-arranged or taken out of the order in which they are produced. Please make staff aware of any material that appears to be out of place or in the wrong order.
- White gloves are provided and must be worn when consulting when handling photographs, negatives, sound recordings and films.
- Should you need to leave the library for any length of time, give the materials to the staff and let them know you are leaving. Please do not put books back on the shelves yourself. Return materials to staff once you have finished using them.
Please report any of the following situations to the staff:
- Some of the documents are in the wrong order.
- Some documents are missing from folders.
- Some of the documents are damaged.
Thank you for your kind co-operation. Should you have any questions regarding this guide, please address them to a Centre du patrimoine staff member.